Thursday 19 May 2011

Refining My Idea

After giving my interim presentation, I settled on the second concept. I have made some alterations to it. I am still going to make it into a short stop motion video, but have rethought the cloning machine. I have changed its appearance, so it is more akin to those seen on TV shows or science-fiction movies.
Kim Possible, Disney Channel
The Human Duplicators, 1965
I drew out a rough storyboard for my clip. 

The hand introduces a narrative into the video, but I am unsure about whether it should remain there or not. I will try it with and without the human interaction. The red circles represent the code that you assign to the variable. I have written out new pseudo code for this specific video:

cloneMachine shape = redCircle; //this is the act of putting the shape into the cloning machine

void draw() {

clone shape = 5; //cloning the shape five times

}

This code describes the setting up of the cloning machine, which is the variable. The red circle is put into it when you type out the code. There is then a clone funciton, which is the retrieving of the variable later in the code. You can determine how many times the variable is used, as it is always stored in the left compartment of the cloning machine. Therefore, you can 'clone' the variable infinite times to create interesting programmes with fewer lines of code. Rather than having to write out every shape that comes out of the cloning machine, you can store other shapes in the left compartment and clone those. In my video, I will only represent the cloning of one variable (the red circle), so that the idea is not over-complicated. It is like using int or float. In this case, the variable that can be stored is a red circle, rather than a whole (int) or decimal number (float).

I have chosen to do a stop motion because it is the most effective way to depict the act of cloning. An interactive installation with this idea would be unsatisfying unless I devised of something that hasn't existed in mankind's history (inventing a cloning machine). I want to exhibit a moving image, and decided a stop motion with a handmade clone machine model is the method which will have a more impressive result.









No comments:

Post a Comment