Monday 21 March 2011

Before and After: Final Four

After making my accurate, coloured drawings of potential wallpapers, I created the designs in Processing. This resulted in almost identical replicas of the hand-drawings. Seeing the images on screen allwoed me to see that the colour scheme was not as cohesive as I thought it would be. The colours did not compliment each other in a manner ideal to me. 
Initial Sketches

I deliberated and came to the conclusion that the hues of second design could be transferred onto each panel. The first design also looks quite mismatched to the rest of the set, so I decided to continue the horizontal lines into each of the panels. The interim presentation we gave enabled me to appreciate the value of a matching set, in terms of the shapes, colours and theme of the wallpaper.

Final Four

I made use of variables and  loops in order to align the parallel horizontals. Without this programming knowledge, it would have been much more difficult to be certain of the consistency of the lines. This also allowed me to create separate functions to overlay non-repeating images (darts in the first and squares in the second).

I am pleased with the result. I fulfilled the goals I set for myself, and have a much better understanding of Processing. There are aspects of my design I would improve, however. The cohesiveness of the set is still somewhat unsatisfactory, although I do think the colour scheme is much more akin to my design aesthetic. I feel I now know what I would do to remedy this, if I were proposed the same task.



No comments:

Post a Comment